Financial Planning and Analysis Manager
- Reference ID: Med007
- Type: Permanent
Serves as the leader of the FP&A team and is the lead financial liaison to a business unit(s). Provides business line and executive management with financial reporting and analysis that are used for strategic and tactical decision making. Works with various senior levels of management to develop, interpret and implement financial and accounting concepts or techniques related to strategic planning, budgeting, and forecasting to drive business results. Responsible for data collection, business analysis, developing tactical and strategic insight, and delivering recommendations to management.
Position Reports To: Executive VP
Primary functions and essential responsibilities:
- Works with senior management and business units to determine strategic objectives and identify opportunities to meet these goals.
- Prepares financial and business-related analysis and research in such areas as financial and expense performance, rate of return, depreciation, working capital, and investments.
- Coordinates and approves the monthly financial review package to management, including commenting on variances to plan, forecast and prior year.
- Analyzes financial and operational data, draws conclusions and presents recommendations on decisions and actions.
- Analyzes and reports on key drivers of business and company performance, including monthly and quarterly results and variance analysis.
- Performs sensitivity, scenario and what-if analysis, as well as analyzes the financial impact of changes in business and new business opportunities/acquisitions.
- Provides high level performance “dashboard” quality reports to senior management or executive team.
- Leads the preparation of annual budgets, operating plans, and forecasts in consultation with the Business Leader(s).
- Leads various analyses (i.e., ROI, NPV, and IRR).
- Partners with senior and executive management on ad hoc analyses, special projects and Board of Director meeting preparation.
- Researches, analyzes and synthesizes data from multiple sources into business information as directed and by self-identification of business information needs.
- Coordinates and facilitates the annual strategic planning process.
- Prepares consolidated forecasts and budgets, and analyzes trends in revenue, expense, capital expenditures and other related areas.
- Maintains and coordinates group completion of financial review templates and meetings.
- Carries out performance analysis and reporting.
- Partners with the business leader to provide input and guidance on business issues and to provide strategic financial input and leadership on decision-making issues affecting the line(s) of business, including commenting on variances to plan, forecast and prior year.
- Works with business users to refine and improve current reporting and analysis often performing ad hoc reporting to satisfy end users.
- Performs month-end review of results to ensure accuracy.
- Performs departmental work on special projects in cost savings, revenue analysis, and other projects as assigned by management.
- Assists in revenue, expense, and cash flow projections and expense saving opportunities within all areas of the forecast models.
- Analyzes projections with respect to various operating strategies, shareholder value measures, and other metrics or objectives.
- Analyzes actual results to understand variances, and revises projections as appropriate.
- Delivers presentations to various levels of management about financial planning and analysis.
- Develops and updates models and methods to analyze volume and margin trends to develop both short and medium-term forecasts.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business, management, or finance required
- MBA or an advanced degree in business, management, or finance required
- FP&A certification preferred
- Experience with cash accounting
- Working experience with accounting software
- GAAP knowledge preferred
- Knowledge of MS Office including Excel, PowerPoint, and Office Suite
- Knowledge of appropriate accounting and financial modeling software programs
- 8-10 years of relevant experience in finance, financial modeling, or accounting
- Experience in specialized functions including valuation, M&A, Actuarial Projects, Portfolio Management, and Risk Assessment
- Experience with Capital expenditures and capital budgeting, capitalization and financing decisions
- Ability to work independently
- Consensus building
- Interpersonal skills
- Leadership skills
- Presentation skills