- Reference ID: MNF002
- Type: Full Time
Location: Glendale Heights, Building 250
Reports to: Vice President of Manufacturing
Job Number: MNF002
Position Summary: Reporting to the Vice President of Manufacturing, the Plant Manager is responsible for the overall management and oversight of the operations related to the manufacture of products and manufacturing projects. This position has responsibility and accountability for resource planning and allocation, budgets, financial performance, strategic growth, project management, quality and compliance, customer interface, and supervision of manufacturing personnel.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Plan, organize, and direct the daily plant operating requirements sufficient to meet and exceed operating metrics as defined for a three shift operation
- Initiate plans and processes which minimize manufacturing costs through effective utilization of manpower, equipment, facilities, materials, and capital
- Assure attainment of business objectives and production schedules while ensuring product standards meet or exceed customer expectations
- Review daily departmental and plant-wide financial performance and other performance data to measure productivity and goal achievement and determine best course of action to countermeasure any variances
- Manage manufacturing activities, assign projects to appropriate teams and provide direction to solve complex manufacturing technical issues
- Manage staff, prepare work schedules, and assign specific duties
- Encourage use of innovative productivity techniques and focus on fact based problem solving.
- Establish group and individual accountability throughout assigned departments for problem solving and cost reduction, both on a permanent and ad-hoc basis, depending on need
- Establish and implement departmental policies, goals, objectives, and procedures, conferring with senior management and staff members as necessary
- Determine staffing requirements and improve manpower utilization within existing departments and processes
- Ensure cGMP compliance and maintain quality standards for all manufacturing activities
- Continually improve safety record by addressing both physical safety issues and employee safety attitudes. Maintain and improve housekeeping in all areas
- Demonstrated track record leading the improvement of operations while delivering day to day performance
- Familiarity with the operations of all plant departments: production, quality, maintenance, materials management, controllership, human resources, etc.
- Participative management style and excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Experience in building a strong operations team
- Strong business acumen and working knowledge of process control and improvement tools.
- Demonstrated leadership and proven track record and expertise in biopharmaceutical facility and operations
- Work with executive management on the planning for growth and expansion of the manufacturing business
- Set project timelines, budget and resource requirements and ensure that these are met
- A strategic thinker with strong result-orientation and a sense of urgency to deliver quality results on time and in a highly ethical and professional manner
- Strong understanding of the technical aspects of manufacturing, testing, and controls, the regulations governing pharmaceutical operations, as well as financial systems and controls.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to build strong cross-functional relationships and communicate complex issues and concepts enterprise-wide, from the executive team to the manufacturing floor
- Excellent team player and be able to build and sustain organization respect and trust at all levels.
- Problem solver with a hands-on approach and ability to anticipate adverse scenarios and provide contingency plans to address them
- Resilient and able to work well in a demanding, fast paced entrepreneurial environment
- BS or advanced degree in engineering disciplines with minimally 10 years of relevant experience in biotech or pharmaceutical industries, ideally in a senior manufacturing leadership role in a GMP facility within the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry
- 6+ years of direct production management experience
- Experience in high speed packaging experience for injectable manufacturing
- Excellent oral and written skills required to communicate with people both inside and outside the company
- Able to handle stress and make decisions in a fast-paced work environment.
- Close visual work required to compile, analyze, compute, copy and compare data
- Regular standing, stooping and bending required
- Occasionally required to lift up to 40 lbs